Monday, May 21, 2007

The (Slow) Sound of Progress


Last week I got serious and ran 25 miles in 5 days. It isn't anything huge, but I was happy with it and it was my goal for the week. They say you should be at 40 miles a week for four weeks with about 6 weeks to go before the marathon, so I am moving in the right direction. I feel good too.

I had some much needed R&R this past weekend and I am ready for another good week. This Saturday I am running the
Soldier Field 10 Mile. It should be fun and I think I am ready. It will be the longest distance I have ran by about .5 miles. The cool part is that the finish line is at the 50 yard line of Soldier Field, so you can expect some dramatics, sort of like Devin Hester busting open a punt return, but just replace the blazing speed and quick jukes with slow acceleration and stumbling spin moves.

As I thought I would about this whole marathon thing, I am learning a lot about myself. I recently realized that life will be uncomfortable at times, and you just have to deal with it. Sometimes when you try to fix something that is uncomfortable, you end up making it more uncomfortable while losing focus on what you were really supposed to be focused on.

In other words, running sucks and it doesn't really get easier. A mile will always be a mile. You just learn to put it in perspective. You have to get through it to reach your goal, if thats 26 of 'em or just a few. Just like life. Gotta tread through the shit to get to the goods.

Happy Monday.

"The weak become heroes and the stars align." -M.Skinner




No comments: