Friday, September 07, 2007

We All Walk The Long Road...

T-Minus one month. Deep breathe.




I am running 12s and ups now. I am only running 2-3 times a week, buts its by design (kinda). I have discovered that my body is not optimal for this amount of mileage, or maybe it is, minus 20 pounds. Either way, I am down to around 225 and it's just not cracking. I have stopped drinking and my diet is good. I am by no means doing everything, but I am telling you that it is still difficult to maintain this level. It's just so easy to scarf down a plate of nachos and drink a couple beers, but I can't do it.

I ran 13 last weekend, going to run 15 tomorrow and 18 the next weekend. After that I am supposed to ween down my running, but I want another long run.

There are so many parts of the long running that is testing...
1. It's f'n time consuming. I need to plan to take at least 2 hours for them.
2. Energy planning is tough. I need to eat something before the run and be well hydrated, but I don't want to go number 2 in the middle of the run. Plus I need to plan the run along water fountains and I need to take Goo Packs, which are pretty much gross.
3. My system gets all jarred up on the long ones.
4. It can be boring. It's like you run by something and then run 3 more miles and then you pass it again...my mind is just like "this, again?!?!"
5. I have a nagging IT band issue. Its a tendon that runs from your hip to your knee. During the run, it feels like someone is stretching it apart.
6. For about 2 days after the run, I can't walk. I literally can not walk down stairs normally. I have to walk down backwards.

I am not bitching. I knew this was going to suck. I am just sharing and venting.
Honestly, I cannot wait to cross the finish line. The time went so fast, yet now each run is such a commitment for me. It's like looking at your study guide for a class an looking when the final exam is and thinking that it's so far away and before you know it, it's here.

Deep breathe. Don't panic. I just gotta keep my head down and walk the long road.

1 comment:

Melissa Zalkin Stollman said...

Your posting reminded me of an important quote from the Jewish text, Pirkei Avot (Ethics of our Fathers) which is found in the Mishna (Jewish legal texts). In 2:15-16 it states, "Rabbi Tarfon says: The day is short, the work is heavy...It is not your responsibility to finish the work [of perfecting the world], but you are not free to desist from it either." My sense is that the beginning of this quote is how you feel at this stage of your training but what you are doing for the Children's Memorial Hospital keeps you motivated, as the second verse implies. I commend you on your commitment, efforts and strength to both work on yourself and within your community!